Play starts on Friday for paid up club members only. Health and Safety notices are attached to the shed.
Two per lawn and keeping a two-metre social distance if players from different households! A temporary booking system for games … see below ….
Please contact secretary Joyce, either by phone or the Club’s WhatsApp system, to book two hour slots, details of timings are 0900 to 1100, 1100 to 1300, 13.00 to 15.00, 1500 to 1700 and 1700 to 1900.
Below is chairman David’s email explaining the booking system:
I am pleased to announce the opening of our croquet season, although very much on a restricted basis, in accordance with Government Covid Guidelines.
The main points are:
1. We will restrict play to singles only on each lawn, with any non-household opponents adhering to the 2 metre rule. This will enable 4 players maximum at the club at any one time. One person only at a time in the clubhouse, please.
2. We will have a booking system controlled by Joyce (many thanks) allowing for 2 hours slots from 9-11, 11-1pm, 1-3, 3-5 and 5-7pm, 7 days a week, weather permitting. Requests will be made either on the Club Croquet WhatsApp or by telephoning Joyce on Chi 778687. Only if a booking is confirmed will it be possible to play. There will be no open sessions for the time being. If you want to practice on your own, please also book via Joyce. Two mornings each week will be closed for grass cutting etc, probably Mon & Thurs, but again subject to the weather. Please plan ahead.
3. The Risk Assessment for Covid-19 information prepared by Chris (many thanks) will be displayed on the hut door. We recommend using gloves where possible in all handling of the hoops, balls etc (including the gate & padlock) but antiseptic wipes will be available to clean down equipment at the end of the day. It is recommended you use your feet to reposition balls during play! Hand-washing facilities are available at the Fishbourne Club as the outside toilets are open. After the first players have set out the lawns, hoops & balls etc should be left out if other later players are expected, thus reducing handling. It may also be sensible for only one person to handle the equipment during set up & close of play? Please bring your own mallet & take it home afterwards. If any member uses club mallets, please borrow one & take it home for the time being. There will be no visitors at present.
4. Please bring any food or drink you might need.
5. The lawns have been well-maintained during Lockdown (many thanks), but the white lines will not be re-instated until more normal conditions return, to save costs. An overwhelming number of you have kindly paid your subscriptions, ensuring the financial well-being of the club, but any outstanding subs should be paid before playing, please.
I’m sure I have forgotten something, but please let me know if there is anything you would like to suggest! There is an element of trial and error, inevitably, but it is everyone’s safety that is paramount & I know you will approach this chance to, at last, enjoy again the game we all love with that in mind. I have attached the Croquet Association Guidelines issued today, for info, re-iterating most of what I have mentioned but in more detail (including stating that please do not turn up if you are infected or significantly at risk!).
Finally, do please let me know if you intend playing under this system, at it gives us, and Joyce, an idea of what we can expect and achieve!
Be safe: have fun playing again (even though it’s singles!!)